Press & Media
Penn State welcomes the opportunity to work with the media, to help journalists and bloggers get the information they need. We ask that all journalists call us before contacting a faculty member or an employee at Penn State regarding Progress-related content (including ongoing legal matters, in addition to providing updates on the initiatives we’ve put in place to address the serious issue of child abuse), or before coming to the University.
How to reach us
- Media Contact: David La Torre (1-717-608-6337)
- Media Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
University Relations c/o progress.psu.edu
309 Old Main
University Park, PA 16802
The University will try its best to respond to all questions from media and post them to this website unless barred by law, contract or privacy rights.
We can work with you to coordinate requests ahead of time, determine whether an interview is possible, coordinate the arrangements, and meet and accompany the media representative to the interview.
- Status report of the University’s review and implementation of the Freeh Report recommendations, updated monthly. Download a pdf of the status report.
- Media one-pager regarding the NCAA-imposed sanctions on Penn State. Download a pdf of the Fact Sheet on Penn State NCAA Sanctions.
- View the current FAQ page.
- Running tally of common questions and answers received since November 2011 – this is a carryover of Frequently Asked Questions posted to the archived Openness website. Download a pdf of Archived Frequently Asked Questions.
Relevant Miscellaneous Documents
Contracts and Agreements
- Rodney A. Erickson was named Penn State's 17th president by the Board of Trustees effective November 10, 2011. Download a pdf of the Employment Agreement for President Erickson.
- David M. Joyner was named Acting Athletic Director on November 17, 2011. Download a pdf of the Memorandum of Understanding for Dr. Joyner.
- William O'Brien was named Head Football Coach on January 6, 2012. Download a pdf of the Employment Contract for Bill O'Brien. Download a pdf of the Letter of Agreement for Bill O'Brien signed January 6, 2012.
- David J. Gray was appointed Senior Vice President for Finance and Business effective February 6, 2012. Download a pdf of the Memorandum of Personal Service for David Gray.
- Engagement letter with Freeh, Sporkin & Sullivan for independent investigation from November 2011 to July 2012 into what failures occurred and what changes should be made
- 2012: Penn State submitted its annual financial report to the NCAA in January 2013 for fiscal year ending June 30, 2012. Download a pdf of the report.
- 2011: Penn State submitted its annual financial report to the NCAA in January 2012 for fiscal year ending June 30, 2011. Download a pdf of the report.
Legal Briefs and Documents
- Penn State received a subpoena on February 2, 2012 from the U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Pennsylvania requesting certain information from 1998 to the present. Download a pdf of the subpoena.
- The Freeh Group released its comprehensive report on July 12, 2012. The full report and Judge Freeh’s remarks in conjunction with the announcement of the publication of the report can be found at http://progress.psu.edu/the-freeh-report.
- The July 12, 2012 press conference that provides Penn State's initial response to Judge Freeh's report and investigation can be found here.
- In October 2012, Penn State hosted a national forum on child sexual abuse. Video from the conference and additional information is available at http://protectchildren.psu.edu/.